InterContinental Hanoi Westlake (tel. 04/6270-8888; www.intercontinental.com): With rounded villas dotted around West Lake and a chic outdoor bar overlooking the water, this new resort is a perfect escape from the city.
- Sofitel Metropole Hanoi (tel. 04/3826-6919; www.sofitel.com): The best hotel in Vietnam for luxury, service, style, and a connection to the history of Hanoi.
- The Nam Hai (Hoi An; tel. 0510/394-0000; www.ghmhotels.com): This resort is the most luxurious, over-the-top destination in Vietnam. A premier spa, three outdoor infinity pools, and private pool villas highlight a list that goes on and on.
- Ana Mandara Villas Dalat (tel. 063/355-5888; www.anamandara-resort.com): This is the most charming hotel in Vietnam, with 17 lovingly restored French colonial villas nestled upon a hill in the Central Highlands.
- Sofitel Dalat Palace (tel. 063/382-5444; www.sofitel.com): There's nothing like it anywhere, really, this converted palace of the last emperor of Vietnam, Bao Dai. Retro-style rooms come with fireplaces, divan beds, claw-foot tubs, and great artwork. Fine dining and a high standard of service round out the package. One of those special finds in the world.
- Evason Hideaway Ana Mandara (Nha Trang; tel. 058/372-8222; www.sixsenses.com): Think the Ana Mandara done to perfection, but set on a far-flung beach with the country's most high-end pool villas.
- Princess d'Annam (Phan Thiet; tel. 062/368-2222; www.princessannam.com): This brand-new resort is an absolute dream for southern Vietnam. Luxurious suites and villas are nestled around a tropical garden, with picturesque oceanside dining, an outdoor infinity pool, and a three-story spa rounding out the indulgence.
- Grand Mercure La Veranda (Duong Dong Beach; tel. 077/398-2988; www.mercure-asia.com): This stately colonial resort with pristine views of the ocean is Vietnam's premier island getaway.
- Park Hyatt Saigon (tel. 08/3824-1234; www.saigon.park.hyatt.com): This new luxury hotel has a prime downtown location overlooking the Saigon Opera House. The interior is sophisticated and modern, and the decor is luxurious without being chintzy. The hotel also has some of the best dining options in Saigon.
- Sheraton Saigon (tel. 08/3827-2828; www.sheraton.com/saigon): Come here for glitzy surroundings and big conferences. It's a popular place for business travelers.